There are both positives and negatives in the reports on the Indian parliamentary delegation’s six-day visit to Colombo. The reports include a statement of Mrs Sushma Swaraj, the multi-party delegation leader issued at the end of the visit, as well as inputs on the press conference she addressed in Colombo.
- The need for expeditious implementation of the measures proposed by the LLRC with regard to information on missing persons and detainees
- Investigation of cases of disappearances and abductions
- Promotion of a trilingual policy,
- Reduction of high security zones
- Return of private lands by the military and demilitarization, including phasing out of the involvement of the security forces in civilian activities and restoration of civilian administration in the Northern Province
- We have noted the assurance given by the Government of Sri Lanka in Parliament that it will ensure the withdrawal of security forces from community life and confine their role to security matters.”
Hariharan’s Intelligence blog