Whilst seeking people’s mandate in the 2005 Presidential Election, MR promised to be the trustee of the people (Mahinda Chintana 2005 – page 2) and pledged to eradicate the drug menace (page 4). But what people of this country witnessed since then, was completely the opposite.
He promised to abolish the Executive Presidency with a new Constitution put in place reverting to Westminster style of governance, upholding the social, cultural, political, economic and civil rights of all Sri Lankans (Chintana page 97, 98). What he did was simply abusing the office with scant respect to the Rule of Law and paralyzes all other organs of governance covering himself with the veil of ‘war victory’
It is common knowledge that no patriot would disagree with the fact that MR stood firm against the West and gave the right leadership to the nation at its hour of need. He did what other leaders failed to do. But he cannot be allowed to use it as a license to destroy the fundamental elements of democracy, the Good Governance the Rule of Law.
And again when he sought a fresh mandate for a second term, once again he pledged to the people, to be their trustee (page 2 of 2010 Chintana) and to perform the office of the President, in accordance with the Constitution and the Rule of Law. People then took him to confidence and believed that he would do the right thing and not follow his predecessors who had been thrown into the dustbin of history.
People were delighted when he promised to be accountable to the Parliament and to the Judiciary (page 56 of 2010 Chintana) and declared “… I will address this social decline … by eliminating fraud, corruption and malpractices, which have engulfed our society for long time, and will take whatever measures necessary to eradicate criminal activities …” (page 37 of 2010 Chintana)
However, his conduct since then has been an insult to the intelligence of the people who had placed total trust in him after being cheated for decades by other leaders.
- Pledged to defend and uphold the constitution but altered it to satisfy his greed for power for a third term even before assuming the office for the second term in the aftermath his 2010 election victory
- Destroyed the pride and honour of the Judiciary for refusing to approve draft legislations that clearly violated the Constitution
- Taking vengeance by removing the Chief Justice by unlawful means
- Dishonoring the Judgments given by the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal
- Unlawfully installing his legal advisor Mohan Pieries to the office of the Chief Justice despite no vacancy existed
- Making appointments to the Superior Court System on his own choice denying career judges of their legitimate expectations
- Effectively usurping the powers of the high profile offices to his advantage
- Disregarding the safeguards established by law to prevent corruption in all high profile offices such as Members of Parliament, Cabinet of Ministers and the office of the Executive President
- Making the Office of the Auditor General irrelevant
- Failing the revenue agencies like Customs, Inland Revenue and Excise by appointing subservient and inefficient lackeys
- Making the Foreign Service a mockery and a laughing stock at international arena bringing the country into disrepute and possible economic sanctions
- Encouraging abuse of public funds by ‘so-called elected representatives’ with the removal of all safeguards imposed by law (eg; removal of conditions prohibiting unauthorized sale of vehicles imported under tax free care permits, noncompliance with the directions of the Auditor General etc)
- His presidential escort is one of the classic examples that demonstrates the extent of the abuse of office at will that one would never witness in the other leading democracies such as the UK (despite prevailing Al Qaeda threats the British Prime Minister uses only one security vehicle and respects all traffic rules like any other road user)
- Following the JRJ doctrine in pardoning the criminals charged in the high Courts with withdrawing the indictments served on them by abusing the office of the Attorney General
- Tolerating the serious offences committed by politicians at Cabinet level, Provincial level and Pradeshiya Sabha level insisting the fear in the minds of the innocent people
- Encouraging the criminal elements in the police to suppress people’s civil and political rights as in the case of his predecessors
- Accommodating and encouraging the acts of right violators in the police department by paying compensation awards from by public funds following the footsteps of JRJ
It is unthinkable that a politician with such a poor record has the audacity to go before the people seeking for a third term. This shows nothing but the endless greed for power at any cost. He is the one and not the people, who should pay gratitude to the people for tolerating all this nonsense for almost a decade.