The Ministry of Defence today issued an order prohibiting Eastern Province Chief Minister Nazeer Ahamed from entering any military camps, following a joint request from the military to Defence Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi, after Ahmed in an angry frenzy rebuked and insulted a Navy Officer, who failed to acknowledge him at a school function in Sampur.
The military has also decided not to take part in any functions attended by Ahamed as a protest against his behavior. Defense Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi said the decision was taken after considering a request by the security forces to do so.
On Wednesday, Ahamed tried to defend his outburst blaming Eastern Province Governor Austin Fernando for not informing the compere that he was the Chief Minister, when he was trying to get on stage at the function, which was held at the Sampur Maha Vidyalaya last Friday. Ahamed also went on to add that Fernando had been undermining his authority and also interfering with his duties, a claim flatly rejected by the Governor.
Meanwhile, even though President Maithripala Sirisena was briefed yesterday about the incident, he is expected to take a decision on the matter upon his return to the country from Japan after the G7 Summit. Sirisena and the Defence Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi are under intense pressure from top military officials demanding action be taken against Ahamed, who rebuked the Navy Officer and told him, ‘get out, you idiot,’ in front of a large gathering including school children.