There had been a number of stories about a PhD program by Parliamentarian Namal Rajapaksa at the University of Sri Jayawardenepura. As published by Colombo Telepgraph earlier, the junior Rajapaksa has been successful in securing the senate and academic council for this program.
The University in its Senate Report 316.08.05 said that it has approved the candidacy of Lakshman Namal Rajapaksa for a PhD program under the registration number 1805SS2011001 for a research on a study on the Social Cultural Factors influencing Child Sex Abuse in Sri Lanka under the supervision of Prof N L A Karunaratna who was the former Vice Chancellor of the university and Prof M W Jayasundara, the Dean of the Criminology Department of the university. The appointed examiners are Prof Sarath Amarasinghe of the Ruhuna University and Prof Daya Amarasekera of the Peradeniya University.
As far as Colombo Telegraph understands Namal Rajapaksa does not possess with necessary qualifications to pursue a PhD study. According to university sources, even his basic degree is in question.
Thus, the Colombo Telegraph would request the university senate to respond to us for the following questions;
- Did Lakshman Namal Rajapaksa provide his necessary qualifications to pursue a PhD Program ? If so what are the provided qualifications
- Did the university counter-check the provided qualifications by the candidate?
- Does the university conduct MAQ examinations on annual basis for all applicants? If so when was the MAQ exam held for the years 2013 and 2014?
- Did Rajapaksa sit for a special MAQ exam conducted by the university only for him?
- What are the qualifications to sit for a MAQ exam and does Rajapaksa have those qualifications? If so please provide us with the details.